Friday, July 31, 2009

Get a message of limited or no connectivity for my wireless connection?

A couple a days ago I was able to connected to my wireless router without any problem but yesterday I got a message saying my wireless connection had "limited or no connectivity". Now, I trade rebooting my router and shutting down my PC to fix the issue but was unsuccessful.





Also, my brother's PC is able to successfully connect wirelessly to my router. So I'm confused as to what the problem is with my PC. Any help would be appreciated.
Get a message of limited or no connectivity for my wireless connection?
Sounds like your computer is struggling to get an address from the DHCP server on your wireless router.





Try manually configuring your IP address, gateway and DNS server settings on your computer.





I also had this trouble a while ago, but on both my wireless adapter and ethernet port on my laptop. I had to reinstall Windows XP as there was some software corruption that was causing the problem. However when I entered the addresses manually, it worked with no problems.
Get a message of limited or no connectivity for my wireless connection?
could possibly be that the pc or laptop you are trying to connect wireless-ly with might be a bit too far away from the router? or the signal might be cut down by thick walls/floors etc.





Also it could be that too many pcs are connecting to your router all at once.
Reply:This is a common problem when running virtual PCs on a host PC.





If you were to run ipconfig /all on the faulty PC, you will probably find that the IP address of the wireless interface is 169.xx.yy.zz.





To connect to a wireless router, your PC IP address must be appropriate, along with its subnet mask.





The best way to resolve how the PC should be set up is to check your brother's settings for his PC.





If he has a static IP address, copy EVERYTHING on the Wireless connection tab - IP, subnet mask, gateway, DNS 1 and DNS 2 - onto your PC wireless adapter EXCEPT for the IP address. Use an IP address where the first three sets of numbers are the same and make the fourth set different to any other value (in the fourth set) on the network; but not 0, 1 or 255.





If he has his IP settings set to "Obtain an IP address"; then you must make sure that all the settings on your Network Connection tab for Wireless connection are the same - i.e. Obtain. Any values already there have to be removed for this situation.





Why are you getting "limited or no connectivity"? Because there is no overlap between the IP address and subnet range of the router/modem and those of your PC, so access cannot occur. For example:





Router 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 can only connect with devices 192.168.1.nn where n = 2 to 254





Router 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.0.0 can only connect with devices 192.168.nn.pp which is 254 times as many addresses as the previous case.





The router value is the IP address of the router.





The DNS values could be one which is the same as the gateway, and the other a REAL IP address (usually your provider's value) though depending on the ISP, the DNS values could be dynamically set by the ISP every time you turn the modem on.





So it has to be either totally DHCP or totally manually set. I run all my devices with static addresses; but that is just the easiest way or me.





If you set the crook PC to relevant totally static address, you would then know if the PC is too far away from the modem/router. Unlikely, unless things have recently been moved around.


No comments:

Post a Comment