Saturday, July 25, 2009

Verizon dsl to linksys client mode bridge... how??

I have a verizon dsl modem on the first floor and a linksys wrt54g with updated firmware (dd-wrt) that will be set up in client mode on the third floor but despite following the directions I've found in several places, I can't seem to get the linksys to pick up the verizon's signal. It won't pick up... ANY signal.





There was a question on here by a person who had this set up and was asking about boosting the signal. I just wanna know how they finally got that set up to work!





Is there anybody that knows how to do it that could explain it to me thoroughly or easily, or just... directly. If someone could walk me through it, it'd be even better. I've seen the links and the webpages and whatnot, and I just think a walkthrough or clear thorough directions might help me out.





I just don't wanna have to put out a bunch of money for an adapter to get my xbox 360 to work in my room. I'd like to try this way (which costs me zip.)





Any help is much much appreciated!!
Verizon dsl to linksys client mode bridge... how??
When i used to have DSL with AT%26amp;T, they gave me a 2-wire router. I didnt like the setup, since I am a Cisco man! So to get around the 2-wire setup and use a Linksys router (Cisco-same company) I plugged 1 Cat5e from port 1 on the 2-wire router straight to the Linksys Router Port 1. MAKE SURE NOT TO USE THE UPLINK port. That defeats the purpose.


Now the 2-wire router I had did have WIFI-B, and the Linksys-G had wifi G. So I dialed into the 2-wire and turned off the wifi on that router. then dialed into the Linksys and turned on and setup wifi on the Linksys only.





I had no problems with that LAN setup at all...as for DSL..that is a whole different story itself!





If you wish to expand or boost the signal, you need to buy a WAP (wireless Access Point) and set that up on the network also. Just make sure the channelization is set right. If the router and WAP are set on same channel, they will not work as well as you'd like. If you get only 1 WAP, i would set the Router wifi to Ch. 1 or 6 and the WAP to 11.





Good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment