Monday, April 20, 2009

Can you help me with Windows 2003 Network Shares issues?

Here%26#039;s the scenario: Small network, Windows 2003 Server on Workgroup enviroment.





Server has DNS setup, and works as file server only.


I have many shares on this server (quickbooks, etc) all users have full access rights and permissions on these shares.





Here is my issue: I cannot browse by Hostname (\\servername)


however, I can browse (\\10.0.0.210) without a problem.





Please let me know if you can point me out in the right direction.





Thanks all!
Can you help me with Windows 2003 Network Shares issues?
Seems like you have a DNS problem, or a DHCP problem, it depends on how your network is setup.





Do you run a DNS server on your server?
Can you help me with Windows 2003 Network Shares issues?
well that is a dns or wins problem.


on the client machines make sure that at least one dns entry is pointing to the server.





you can also add entries to the host files on the client machines. i forget which is for local lan, so i usually change both lmhost and host files.


they are located C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc


open the with notepad and create and entry for the server as per the instructions at the top of the file.


No comments:

Post a Comment