Monday, April 20, 2009

Two Connections - Local & VPN?

I have my local connection and I%26#039;m also using a VPN connection. So technically I have two networks connected to with one being virtual. When I want to do a ping on computers on the remote network I%26#039;m vpn%26#039;ed to, I%26#039;m not able to. But my question is how does the computer know which network to look when performing a lookup (ping). Does it just do a look up on both networks or is there a step that it takes?
Two Connections - Local %26amp; VPN?
If you know the computer name then you can type in tracert %computername% and it will show you the steps it takes to get there. If you want to know how the ping is working then look up on yahoo or google about DNS as it is what is resolving the name of the computer you are typing in. I can answer that question for you but, it will take some time.


No comments:

Post a Comment